Friday, September 19, 2008

Farewell Petunia.

DSC00054
A rare picture of Petunia outside. Later she would refuse to pick up the ball on the ground because it was touching the ground.

Today part of me died along with my ever faithful Petunia. She went swiftly-- a quick seizure, and she was gone. I am still processing it. So much of my life was wrapped into the 40 lbs (yes, she had dropped the weight) of one neurosis after another.

Originally from Florida, she was meant to be a show dog, but because she didn't "thrive," she was taken to the vet who explained to her breeder that this puppy had to be on the only puppy in the house. We were happy to take and dote on her. She didn't like to go for walks, unless it was at the mall. Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, Pier One, as well as boutique stores and a few restaurants that I won't name welcomed her with open arms. Five years ago on the first night of Hanukkah, I was sitting with her at The LA Farmers Market (we were getting her Santa pics done) and a minion, converted her to Judaism. I doubt they were converting every dog they saw, that was just her hold she had on people. Everyone from tourists to paramedics abandoning their patients to local gang members we encounter at Pink's Hot Dog Stand wanted to take pictures with her.

One time someone asked me why almost all my pics of her were on a bed. The answer was because that was her favorite place. She never had a wanderlust. She was my little crazy canine Howard Hughes. She only liked to be outside if she could sunbathe or get attention from people. If it wasn't at least 90 degrees out, she would go outside for the bathroom, and immediately run in like the dog catcher was coming for her.

She was allergic to grass and 27 other items including cats. She snored incessantly, and she NEVER woke up in the single digits. People always commented that she didn't understand that she was a dog. She did always seem baffled and a little offended when other dogs wanted to sniff her. I tried for awhile to make her more dog-oriented, but I grew tired of being in a pack of dogs in the dog park just to look back seeing her sitting on the people bench with the other owners.

Her favorite thing in the world was to play with tennis balls- and only tennis balls. She could catch as good as any dog with a snout-- except she would only play inside-- for hours and hours. My fingers would pickle throwing some mangy ball. And if a ball went out of her reach she would growl and bark until I got the ball for her even if meant dislocating my shoulder, because whatever ball she picked up for the day, she insisted on sticking with it.

Tonight for the first time I can ever remember, we don't have the A/C on. We always kept the house at 62 degrees because that's the temperature she seemed happiest at. I miss having my teeth chattering while she pants because I tried to move the temp up to 63 degrees, just to have her stop as soon as I would turn it back down.

I miss her and everyone of her little idiosyncrasies... I love you, my sweet Petunia.

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger DMCA said...

Oh, Nic, my deepest sympathies to you and your family. It is a terrible thing to lose a pet, especially so suddenly. Petunia was a wonderful charismatic soul who will be greatly missed.

8:34 PM  
Blogger DoubleDutch59 said...

You describe her so well, I feel like I've met her. I'm so sorry she's gone...but what a great life it sounds like she had. You were both lucky to have found each other.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Pam the Yarn Goddess said...

Polly, I am SO very, deeply sorry. We're facing having to put down our old faithful pound puppy (she's 20), and it's tearing us apart. I can't even imagine what you're going through having Petunia taken so suddenly from you like that.

I'll give Emma an extra hug tonight and send it to Petunia. I'm sure that it's 62 degrees where she's at, and that she's surrounded by tennis balls.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

OH MY GOD! Nic I'm so sorry! It's only 7am here on the east coast so I'm going to wait a while before calling you. I am so sorry.

4:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss! She sounds like she was my kind of dog...

4:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nic, I'm so very sorry. It's never easy to lose a friend, but doubly hard, I think, when it happens suddenly. Hoping that the rest of your furry family provides some comfort, and thinking of you and Petunia.

5:09 AM  
Blogger Rachael Hutchings said...

I am so sorry. She was such a special dog and I know how much she meant to you. I'll miss always hearing stories about her crazy antics.

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. It's never easy losing a fur member of the family. Having been through it myself a little over a year ago, it left a big empty spot that will never be filled. Just know you're obviously never alone and always with someone to talk to.

Be kind to yourself and take your time healing.

9:11 AM  
Blogger C+SK said...

Oh Nicol, I am so so sorry to hear this!!!! That is so sad! :-( Steven and I send you and WHN a big tight hug! Bayou and the fuzzbutts send lickies too. Ohh baby Petunia!!!! :'-(

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(((hugs)))

I only got to meet her once, but what a wonderful girl she was. I'm so sorry for your loss.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Shelby said...

Sending lots of hugs! I'm soooo sorry for your loss.

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, oh - I'm so so sorry to read that. I know that it is terribly hard to say good-bye to a loved pet. And it's clear to see that you shared a lot ...
We're thinking of you!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Jinann said...

Oh, Nicole. {{{{HUGS}}}}

It's so sad to lose a beloved pet - I'm sitting here at work sobbing my eyes out! Sending you lots and lots of hugs!

5:04 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Oh, I'm really sorry to hear about that. Hugs to you during this difficult time!!!

2:39 PM  
Blogger Cassie said...

Nic, so sorry for your loss... Petunia sounds like she was a fabulous companion. XO, Cass

5:01 AM  
Blogger Pooch said...

My sympathy to you on the passing of Petunia. I know the heartache of the death of a beloved dog and hope that you will find comfort in happy memories.

:)

9:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nic, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Petunia made her way to the Rainbow Bridge, where she's probably playing with my fur-babies. Hugs to you!!

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


accommodation in Barcelona